Brave & Breathless Magazine is a Romance Magazine, focused exclusively on fiction dedicated to life and love. And sex. Yeah, there’s a little sex involved, but don’t worry – there doesn’t have to be. As long as there is a happily-ever-after, we’ll be happy, too.
These first few issues are an experiment to see if there is any interest, so hey, let’s make it count!
Brave & Breathless is accepting stories of Romance! This includes all sub-genres – even erotica (one story per issue, clearly marked so those who do not like erotica can skip it if they wish to do so). Tropes are welcome here, so long as you have a unique voice and make us care about the characters.
- TBA (dependent on submissions)
Submissions: OPEN (deadline date TBA)
Payment: $TBA (one print copy for U.S. – PDF for international writers). ***(See Notes Section Below)
If you’d like to submit to Brave and Breathless, please follow the guidelines below:
- Words: Between 500 and 3,000 words, firm.
- Content Restrictions: No rape or torture porn. No Fantasy (we’re talking Romance here, not unicorns and gryphons). Historical Romance or Regal Romance is okay, but remember that we’re not historical experts here. Tropes and Clichés are welcome as long as they are fun! Any questions? Please ask!
- Rights: We reserve the right to publish your story and maintain it for free on our website and on issuu.com (or another platform, should issuu become too expensive) – that said, the rights to your story revert to you immediately upon publication. As a curtesy, we ask that you wait six weeks before publishing it elsewhere, but you are not bound by our ‘pretty-please’ request. Our philosophy is that no story should be held hostage.
- Format: Normal Formatting (see https://www.shunn.net/format/story.html)
- Email Guidelines:
- Include a brief bio (emphasis on brief) in the body of your email
- Attach Document – no ‘in-the-body’ manuscripts
- In subject line, write: YourName_Story Title_Word Count
- One submission at a time – submitting elsewhere at the same time you submit here is acceptable, but let us know you’re doing so and if you’re published elsewhere, please request that it be pulled from consideration with us (and congrats if that’s the case)!
- No Reprints
- No Poetry (yet)
- Send to: braveandbreathless (at) gmail (dot) com
- The spirit of all magazines published by this venue is one of goofy, laid back fun. We’re not here to make a million bucks, and there are over 7 Billion people on this planet; we figure we’re pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things. So loosen your tie and put your hair down (or both!) and let’s publish some Romance!
- This publication reserves the right to rescind an offer to publish due to creative differences (this usually happens when an author does not act professionally or when they fib about reprints – rare, but it does happen). Please treat others with dignity and respect. We will give the same curtesy to you.
- ***Payment Note: These are not yet professional rates. We know it. The trouble with building a magazine business from scratch is that you have to start small. The two Horror magazines we run failed the first time around because we went too far too fast, believe it or not! Once we start receiving orders and advertisers, this will change and change fast. For now, please bear with us while we try this magazine out. Thank you for your understanding.
- We don’t share or sell your information.
- We keep the original email you send (with your story attached) in labeled folders, such as: ‘accepted’ with the date of the publication that your story is appearing in, an ‘editing’ folder, a ‘considering’ folder, or a ‘rejection’ folder (which helps us track who sent what and when – this way, we’re not confused and neither are you).
- You are not signed up to an email list or a newsletter.
- If your work is accepted, you may be contacted in the future for opportunities with an anthology, but otherwise you won’t be bothered.